Sundry does this every year, and I always love reading it, so I figured I might as well join in. You should, too! Leave your responses or a linky-link to your own…posty-post…(I don’t know)…in the comments.
LET’S DO THIS, Y’ALL.
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Became a mostly stay-at-home mom. I’ll admit, it threw me for a loop there for a while, but things are good these days.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I always make a resolution to drink more water, but it never happens.
As far as next year, I’d like to more intentional about how JR and I spend our time. I also want to be more proactive about scheduling time for me to do things that have nothing to do with preschoolers.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
We had about a million babies born at church, but as far as people close to me, I’d say:
- My new friend Katie who has the best attitude (and hair) ever — mama to Myles
- My lovely friend Leah who is intimidatingly cool and just fantastic — mama to Grey
- Maura, the love of my life — mama to Arden
- Susan, the funniest person I know — mama to Archie
- Anna, the first funniest person I know who I am now adding because I’m a total jerk-face, just as I will mention below — mama to Potter, AKA Meatball, Pot Roast
All boys! I love baby boys!
I’m sure I’m forgetting someone. If it is you, I am so embarrassed and so sorry.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I don’t…think so? Oh God, that would be even worse than forgetting someone on the last one.
5. What countries did you visit?
None. I’m poor, dudes.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
More time hanging out with THE LAY-DEEEEEEEES. And maybe money? I don’t know. More financial security, however that looks. Yes, that.
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
February 25th, my last day at RVANews.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting my son to poop in the damn toilet. I’m also really proud of the writing I did for the RVANews parenting column.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I think I could’ve been a much better wife this year. Adjusting to life at home with JR and managing a resurgence of my anxiety and depression made things really, really hard at times. I’d like to do better next year.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Other than the brains, not really. Unless you count that time I sort of sprained my thumb lifting a laundry basket that was clearly too full of clothes.
(Life is different now.)
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Every bottle of nail polish that I impulsively tossed into the basket at CVS. When you’re broke, it’s the nicest little treat.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage, daycare/preschool fees. Probably Cook-Out. And maybe the nail polish.
13. What did you get really excited about?
Taking JR to his first movie.
14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
The Friday Night Lights theme song. TEXAS FOREVER.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Both. I’m working in extremes these days.
– thinner or fatter? About the same.
– richer or poorer? Ha. Haha. Hahahahahaha.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Chilling the eff out.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Freaking the eff out.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas Eve with the in-laws. Christmas morning with my mom and sibs. Christmas night with my dad. And my boys were there for all of it, which was all I really wanted.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
Obviously, Friday Night Lights (TEXAS FOREVER AGAIN). And the IT Crowd, which is hilariously fantastic.
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
All of the books from the Song of Ice and Fire series that I’ve read so far. And The Hunger Games.
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
Guys, I love me some Gaga and always will.
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
I think I saw The King’s Speech at the beginning of this year, so I’ll say that. I seriously can’t remember what new movies I’ve seen this year. WHO AM I?
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 30 and we had a pizza party in Ross’s parent’s basement and watched Wet Hot American Summer. Apparently I thought I was turning 15.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Despite the hard stuff, I’m pretty satisfied with how this year went. Big changes happened, but things are good.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
26. What kept you sane?
Zoloft. Coach and Tami Taylor. My husband. My incredible, wonderful, supportive, hilarious friends (both in real life and on the Twitters).
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
When people tell you they love you, believe them. Don’t fight it and love them back as hard as you possibly can.
Happy New Year, guys!